Tuesday, October 21, 2008

desires and longing for a lost utopia: Ming Fay

I have admired this piece for many years. It was my metro stop on the F line in the Lower East Side of NYC and always memorized me every time I got off the train. The glass mosaic colors with metallic highlights are breath taking and do a great job of masking the underground dirtiness of this NYC subway stop. It has defiantly influenced my obsession to learn public art mosaic techniques. I am also interested in the artist’s natural history metaphors and inspiration from nature shown in his work.

Ming Fay worked with the MTA Art for Transit Project to create two large wall mosaic murals. One is titled “Shad Crossing” and the other is titled “swimming”

“ In the late 19th century, these shad were found along the Hudson River when new immigrants came to New York, most of them settled on the Lower East side. The Uptown side is titled "Delancey Orchard"; it has a cherry orchard mosaic, which symbolized the cherry trees owned by the Delancey family in the 18th century, near the present day Orchard Street. “
-Ming Fay

“In recent years, my work has focused on the concept of a garden as a symbol of abundance, paradise and the location for the ultimate desirable state of being. As humans we are consumed with desires and longing for a lost utopia. The garden that I have created is a mindset where I cultivate an imagined place for mystical forms to exist in a sculptural landscape” –Ming Fay

mingfay.com

No comments: