Friday, November 28, 2008

The Austin Open Green Map is Growing!


This past summer while I was working at the Green Map Office in NYC I learned about their new online green map project. Its called the Open Green Map and uses an interface similar to map quest for the map makers to upload the Green Map Icons, site descriptions, photos, and videos of sites they want to map in their community.
In October I registered to start the Austin Open Green Map page and meet with the Austin Eco-network, Eco-wise, members of Real Art, Real Community and other interested participants to go over collectively uploading sites onto the on-line map. I was a little skeptical of the process at first but excited about how many people could upload map information with relative ease. Since October we now have over 10 people uploading sites to the Austin Green Map and have 125 places.
I am going to have my Digital Design Foundations students upload sites from their campus green maps. I like that the map is accessible to people on the internet and that the responsibility is shared to update and research Green Map sites for Austin.
Upload a site!
www.opengreenmap.org/en/greenmap/austin-green-map

No comments: