Friday, November 28, 2008

“A Tapioca Da Tia Lu” by Lula Marcondes



The East Side Studio Tour was lot of fun this year and great motivation to fix up my studio, celebrate my 31st Birthday and invite artist Lula Marcondes to exhibit his work with me. I have admire Lula’s work after seeing his large puppets and banners in the Austin First Night parade in 2006 and then seeing it in critique studio when I came to visit the UT Design program in 2007. Lula is from Olina, Brazil and is an architect, musician, and artist. His work is very influenced by the Brazilian folk art movement and Brazilian woodcutting art. He showed a new work of his at my studio titled “ A Tapioca Da Tia Lu” that is a tribute to one of the oldest tapioca (taco) sellers in his home town. He created this addition with the help of the Austin Series Project which works with artists to create limited edition serigraph print of their work. I like that he not only turned his painting into a print but added a section of fabric from Brazil for the women’s dress. He has incorporated Brazilin fabrics into many of his works. During the studio tour I gave Lula a lesson in linocut printmaking and he is almost done with his new print!

“A collaborative workshop format is the setting used to foster diverse artists’ development and creativity through exposure to the serigraph technique. Each participating artist creates a limited edition serigraph print and The Serie Project, in turn, is able to make the fine art available to the public through these affordable, signed and numbered prints.”
-serieproject.org

You can see the Series Projects current show at the Mexic-Arte Museum from now through March 1st. I highly recommend it!

No comments: